Planting Island the scene of early morning house fire
Marion — An early morning electrical fire at 18 West Avenue in the Planting Island community was quickly stamped out by Marion Fire with help from Rochester, Mattapoisett and Wareham departments.
The home, owned by Arthur and Gail Mitton of Hingham, was unoccupied when the fire started around 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday. According to the caretaker, who received a call when alarms went off, the fire originated in a bathroom.
Fire Chief Brian Jackvony confirmed that the source of the fire was a defective electric heater. He added the caretaker helped to keep the fire contained.
“He did a good job of keeping the doors closed. It limited the fire,” he said.
Jackvony said there was water damage on the first floor and smoke damage throughout the house.